Thunder fall short in Coquitlam as A's eke out victory

by Gary Ahuja

Ryan Jones had his biggest game since joining Langley last month with a six-point effort but the Thunder came up a goal short, falling 11-10 in Coquitlam to the Adanacs. Gary Ahuja Langley Events Centre file photo

They erased a big first-period deficit but ultimately came up one goal short on Friday night.

The Langley Thunder travelled to Coquitlam to face the first place Adanacs in the first of three head-to-head meetings on Friday night, falling by a final score of 11-10 in BC Junior A Lacrosse League action.

After the teams traded goals in the first 2:24, the rest of the opening 20 minutes was all Adanacs as the home side built a 6-1 lead through one period. But the rest of the game was a different story with Langley cutting the deficit to a pair of goals after 40 minutes, 8-6, before knotting the score at nine goals apiece with 13:20 to play.

For the next 11 minutes and change, the score remained deadlocked as both goaltenders turned aside all challengers. But with 2:07 to play, Coquitlam’s Dennon Armstrong broke the stalemate and 51 seconds later, Thomas Semple gave the Adanacs a two-goal cushion.

Connor Watson did get one back for the Langley visitors with 44 seconds to play but Coquitlam hung on for the victory, improving to 10-2 in the process. The Thunder fell to 7-6.

Ryan Jones led the Thunder with a goal and five helpers while Watson (two goals, three assists) and Ryan Martel (three goals, one assist) also had big games. Trevayne Hunter, Kyle Nichols, Drew Kask and Nathan McKeigan each had a goal and an assist. Jordan Roberts and Matthew Abbott rounded out Langley’s scoring attack.

Armstrong (three goals, three assists) and Colin Munro (two goals, four assists) led the Adanacs.

The Thunder are back in action on Sunday (June 9) at Langley Events Centre when the battle the Nanaimo Timbermen. Game time is 5 p.m.


For more information:

Gary Ahuja, Langley Events Centre, 604.613.5242 (cell), 604.455.8830 (office) or email.